Edited Volumes and Books
- Taste Consumption and Markets: An Interdisciplinary Volume (under contract) eds. Zeynep Arsel and Jonathan Bean, Routledge, NY
- Gendering Theory in Marketing and Consumer Research (2017), eds. Zeynep Arsel, Kirsi Eräranta, Johanna Moisander, Routledge, NY (Originally published as a special issue of the Journal of Marketing Management)
- Introduction, Journal of Marketing Management Special Issue on Theorising Gender and Gendering Theory in Marketing and Consumer Research (with Kirsi Eraranta and Johanna Moisander)
Peer Reviewed Publications: (click on the title to download- for personal use only)
- Managing Communities of Co-Creation around Consumer Engagement Styles, Journal of the Association for Consumer Research (with Eric Martineau)
- Place Attachment in Commercial Settings: A Gift Economy Perspective, Journal of Consumer Research (with Alain Debenedetti and Harmen Oppewal)
- Taste Regimes and Market-Mediated Practice, Journal of Consumer Research, (with Jonathan Bean)
- Demythologizing Consumption Practices: How Consumers Protect their Field-Dependent Identity Investments From Devaluing Marketplace Myths,” Journal of Consumer Research (with Craig J. Thompson) – winner of the Sidney J. Levy Award
- Emotional Branding and the Strategic Value of the Doppelgänger Brand Image, Journal of Marketing, 70 (January), 50-64. (with Craig J. Thompson and Aric Rindfleisch)
- The Starbucks Brandscape and Consumers’ (Anticorporate) Experiences of Glocalization,Journal of Consumer Research, 31 (December), 631-642. (with Craig J. Thompson)
- Arsel, Zeynep (2015), “Assembling Markets and Value,” in Assembling Consumption: The Handbook of Assemblage Theories in Marketing and Consumer Research, eds. Robin Canniford and Domen Bajde, New York, Routledge.
- Arsel, Zeynep and Scott Stewart (2015), “Identity Degrading Brands,” in Consumer-Brand Relationships 2, eds. Susan Fournier, Michael Breazeale, and Jill Avery, New York, Routledge
- Arsel, Zeynep and Xin Zhao (2013), “Blogs” in The Routledge Companion to Digital Consumption, eds. Russell Belk and Rosa Llamas, Routledge (preview here, or please ask for a copy)
Peer Reviewed Conference Presentations:
- Pomiès Anissa and Zeynep Arsel (2016), “There is Disputing about Taste: Genealogy of a Contested Concept”, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, July 2016, Lille, France (Winner, Best Special Session Award)
- Bean, Jonathan and Zeynep Arsel (2013), “Understanding Mediated Practices: Combining Ethnographic Methods with Blog Data to Develop Insights,” Ethnography in Praxis Conference, Sept 2013, London UK
- Arsel, Zeynep (2013), “Collaborative Redistribution Systems and Value Creation,” European Marketing Academy 2013 Conference, June 2013, Istanbul, Turkey (accepted, however not presented)
- Stewart, Scott and Zeynep Arsel (2013), “Degrading Brands and Consumer Brand Relationships,” Consumer Brand Relationships Conference, May 2013, Boston, MA
- Mérigot, Philippe, Alain Debenedetti, and Zeynep Arsel (2013) “The Porous Nature of Places: An Economies of Worth Perspective,” 8th Workshop On Interpretive Consumer Research, April 2013, Brussels, Belgium
- Arsel, Zeynep, Alain Debenedetti and Philippe Mérigot (2012), “The Dynamics and Continuity of Place Attachment: Cues from a Parisian Wine Bar,” Association for Consumer Research 2012 Conference, October 2012, Vancouver, Canada
- Debenedetti, Alain, Philippe Mérigot and Zeynep Arsel (2012) “Continuity and Transfer of Place Attachment: An Ethnographic Exploration,” EMAC 2012 Conference, May 2012, Lisbon, Portugal
- Arsel, Zeynep and Susan Dobscha (2011), “Hybrid Pro-social Exchange Systems: The Case of Freecycle”, Association for Consumer Research Conference, October 2011, St Louis, MO
- Debenedetti, Alain, Philippe Mérigot and Zeynep Arsel (2011) “The Continuation of Place Attachment Experience Through Time and Space: The “Coin De Verre” Case”, 6th Workshop On Interpretive Consumer Research, May 2011, Odense, Denmark
- Arsel, Zeynep and Jonathan Bean (2010) “Networked Styles and Normalizing Taste Narratives”, Association for Consumer Research Conference, October 2010, Jacksonville, FL
- Arsel, Zeynep and Xin Zhao (2010) “Personal Blogging, Performance and the Quest for Fame”, Association for Consumer Research Conference, October 2010, Jacksonville, FL
- Arsel, Zeynep and Susan Dobscha (2010) “Local Acts, Global Impacts?: Examining the Pro-Social, Non-Reciprocal Nature of Freecyclers” European Association for Consumer Research Conference, July 2010, London, UK.
- Arsel, Zeynep and Jonathan Bean (2010) “Collective Taste Making: Analyzing Apartment Therapy Narrative”, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, June 2010, Madison, WI.
- Arsel, Zeynep (2009) “Exploring the Social Dynamics of Online Bartering” Association of Consumer Research Conference, October 2009, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Arsel, Zeynep and Craig J. Thompson (2008) “I Might Consume Like a Hipster, but I am not a Hipster: Myth Markets and Consumer Reflexivity” Consumer Culture Theory Conference, June 2008, Suffolk University, Boston, MA.
- Arsel, Zeynep and Craig J. Thompson (2005) “Consuming It Cool: Status Multiplicity and Contextualized Cultural Capital” European Association for Consumer Research Conference, June 2005, Göteborg, Sweden.
- Thompson, Craig J and Zeynep Arsel (2003) “Consumers’ Experiences of Glocalization in a Hegemonic Brandscape: The Case of Starbucks and Local Coffee Shop Culture”, Association of Consumer Research Conference, October 2003, Toronto, ON.
- Arsel, Zeynep (2002) “Consumption ‘by’ Cultural Capital or Consumption ‘of’ Cultural Capital: A Revisit to Bourdieu’s Distinction”, Indiana University 32nd Annual Haring Symposium, March 2002, Bloomington, IN.